Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

4 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 8 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Just two.
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 8 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by smirkytrick Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:07 am

Hey Keonig! Just thinking about our main character, do you think he needs to be more memorable, like give him a defining feature about him. Maybe an eyepatch or something, what do you think?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:59 am

I think it would be best to let the user customize him.  The feeling of exploration would be amplified if the player controlled the character directly rather than guiding him.  Essentially a western RPG style.  A good explanation of what I mean is covered in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aiEsIW9IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmkdoz5LjdE

I HIGHLY recommend watching them. If they do help explain what I mean, let me know.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:10 pm

Koenig wrote:I think it would be best to let the user customize him.  The feeling of exploration would be amplified if the player controlled the character directly rather than guiding him.  Essentially a western RPG style.  A good explanation of what I mean is covered in these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_rvM6hubs8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8aiEsIW9IM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmkdoz5LjdE

I HIGHLY recommend watching them.  If they do help explain what I mean, let me know.
Those videos definitely helped me out and what to define this games as. I see what you're saying. For this game, I imagine it'll probably be more of a Western RPG than a JRPG. Seeing how this game is more focused on the fantasy and expression. Or at least that's the way I see it.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:19 pm

I am glad the video's were of use. Are there any other topics you want to cover? I have been working some idea's, but nothing solid or fully fleshed out at this point.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:28 am

*Stairs silently from within the shadows*
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:47 am

I posted this in the completely wrong thread >.>

sorry.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:54 pm

Koenig wrote:I am glad the video's were of use.  Are there any other topics you want to cover?  I have been working some idea's, but nothing solid or fully fleshed out at this point.
Can't really think of anything of the moment, BTW, I made a folder for this project on the WSSF deviant art page.

Let's hear some of the ideas you came up with so far.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:10 pm

So far I only have two major idea's: Backstories and lore in relation to both the Ancient city and the Wizards guild. For now I will cover the City.

The Ancient city (Which is just a place holder name until you design a new one for it) was once a part of Atlantis, It was built atop one of the floating isles and was a dominant power during the Atlantian era. However, after the cataclysm that sealed the gateway to other parts of the city occurred; the city was desolated and its island set adrift; left abandoned and untouched for hundreds of years.

In time, others were able to recreate the power of flying vessels (Airships) and reached the island once more, and eventually the city was recolonized by the people of Curiosi (I hope I am spelling that right) and was partially rebuilt.
Even being bound to a new island by means of massive chains. The new structures are often dwarfed and built into the skeleton of the original construction of the city; In the modern era it is a prominent trade city among sky fairing ships, and an ideal market place for those traveling abroad.

As far as gameplay would be concerned, the city would be a source of trade, information, and a number of side quests in which parts of the city were either excavated , relics were uncovered, or any other manner of adventure to be had.

Thoughts/Questions?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:58 pm

Koenig wrote:So far I only have two major idea's:  Backstories and lore in relation to both the Ancient city and the Wizards guild.  For now I will cover the City.

The Ancient city (Which is just a place holder name until you design a new one for it) was once a part of Atlantis,  It was built atop one of the floating isles and was a dominant power during the Atlantian era.  However,  after the cataclysm that sealed the gateway to other parts of the city occurred; the city was desolated and its island set adrift; left abandoned and untouched for hundreds of years.

In time, others were able to recreate the power of flying vessels (Airships) and reached the island once more, and eventually the city was recolonized by the people of Curiosi (I hope I am spelling that right) and was partially rebuilt.
Even being bound to a new island by means of massive chains.  The new structures are often dwarfed and built into the skeleton of the original construction of the city;  In the modern era it is a prominent trade city among sky fairing ships,  and an ideal market place for those traveling abroad.

As far as gameplay would be concerned, the city would be a source of trade, information, and a number of side quests in which parts of the city were either excavated ,  relics were uncovered, or any other manner of adventure to be had.

Thoughts/Questions?
I see, so this is like a mission to do research on the history of the ancient island. Seems like a good idea. So about this ancient city was above atlantis right? like floating about atlantis?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:24 pm

Essentially the city of Atlantis was destroyed and only its hallow ruins remained.  The new new city was built in and on those ruins; technically making it the same city as they occupy the same space. The city is built on a floating island; during the Atlantian era it could be controlled, but after the city was ruined it was left to drift across the skys. When it was recolonized it was bound to an island below via massive chains.

The city does not act as a mission by itself, but rather a functioning town that can aid the player and has a history that can be explored. Likewise, this is the city that will hold the gates mentioned before.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:50 am

Ahhh. That does sound like a fun idea, a place that the player could explore around, I like it. BTW I thought of a name for the atlantis city, tell what do you think of 'Marini Villa' or 'Aquis Urbis' ?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:14 pm

smirkytrick wrote:Ahhh. That does sound like a fun idea, a place that the player could explore around, I like it. BTW I thought of a name for the atlantis city, tell what do you think of 'Marini Villa' or 'Aquis Urbis' ?
I like the "Urbis" part of the name, but the others don't seem to fit.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:07 am

So...Any other ideas? I have come up with another story arch/quest we could include if you approve.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:17 pm

Koenig wrote:So...Any other ideas?  I have come up with another story arch/quest we could include if you approve.
Sorry for the late response. Let's hear the story arc you have.

Also here's what half of the gate looks like so far.
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 8 SeptmundiGatescopy_zps289f5d85
I also have a rusty version too.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:51 pm

I like it. it is not exactly what I had in mind, but it lends itself well to the idea that the gate is a mechanism rather than a barrier.

As for the story element:

The shadow armada.

Lore: The shadow armada is a ghostly fleet of ships that endlessly wonder the sea's. They are detached from reality and are generally unable to interact with the real world. There location and actions are like a ghostly recording, allways repeating a great battle and the voyage surrounding it.

Story: The fleet itself is not actually a ghost, but rather ships trapped within a curse. At one point the fleet was sent to fight in a war, however the flagship was equipped with a new Magic Mechinism that should have secured victory; however something went wrong with the device and as a result the fleet was instead trapped in a loop of time. They succeeded in their mission, but are forever doomed to wander the oceans.

if the player could find a way to interact with and repair or control the Device that started all this, the fleet could be free'd and used again. This would be an ideal plot device should a great battle need to be fought again with the player involved.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Koenig wrote:I like it.  it is not exactly what I had in mind, but it lends itself well to the idea that the gate is a mechanism rather than a barrier.
Don't worry, It's not done yet, what you're seeing is half of the gate, it's gonna be like a 2 door gate when I'm done. Also, you didn't give me your feedback on whether you want the gate to be rusty or not. I think at one point you said mossy, but I might be wrong.

Koenig wrote:As for the story element:

The shadow armada.

Lore: The shadow armada is a ghostly fleet of ships that endlessly wonder the sea's.  They are detached from reality and are generally unable to interact with the real world.  There location and actions are like a ghostly recording, always repeating a great battle and the voyage surrounding it.

Story:  The fleet itself is not actually a ghost, but rather ships trapped within a curse.  At one point the fleet was sent to fight in a war, however the flagship was equipped with a new Magic Mechanism that should have secured victory; however something went wrong with the device and as a result the fleet was instead trapped in a loop of time.  They succeeded in their mission, but are forever doomed to wander the oceans.

if the player could find a way to interact with and repair or control the Device that started all this, the fleet could be free'd and used again.  This would be an ideal plot device should a great battle need to be fought again with the player involved.
That does sound interesting. For some reason, I imagine the Magic Mechanism of the ship is alive and behind the ship being in the cursed state. Kinda like HAL from Space Odyssey. Its only wanted to protect the crew, but the problem is it'll do whatever it takes, even the crew's sanity.

The only problem though, how would the player interact with the ghostly ship?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:34 pm

Sorry about that. Mossy, but not rusty. The gates were made from special alloys and materials that would stand the test of time.

I like your idea about the Mechanism, though if we want to give it an ai it might make more sense lessen its intelligence somewhat. As for the players interaction, that would be part of the quest; having to find and study the fleet, and subsequently create a method of their own to interact with it (Though also putting them at peril in doing so)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:24 pm

Here's what the gates look like now.
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 8 SeptmundiGatescopy_zps1f635a89
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 pm

smirkytrick wrote:Here's what the gates look like now.
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 8 SeptmundiGatescopy_zps1f635a89
That is much more like what I originally had in mind; great work.

Very Happy 
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:22 pm

Koenig wrote:
smirkytrick wrote:Here's what the gates look like now.
That is much more like what I originally had in mind; great work.

Very Happy 
Awesome! Do you think it needs anything else?
Also for gate #2, you wanted a gate with a fire symbol right? do you want me to make it plain first and see if it needs any moss or anything?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Originally, I was thinking that the symbol for both would rest in the middle of the door and be both decorative and functional (Like a puzzle lock)

The fire symbol will essentially be a circle with right and upper sides on fire.

PS: I came across a game that might interest you in regards to sky battles. Its called Guns of Icarus:

it is bit different than what we have in mind for our games, but it is interesting none the less.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:16 pm

Koenig wrote:Originally, I was thinking that the symbol for both would rest in the middle of the door and be both decorative and functional (Like a puzzle lock)

The fire symbol will essentially be a circle with right and upper sides on fire.
Ok, so for the fire gate do you want it to be mossy as well?

Koenig wrote:PS:  I came across a game that might interest you in regards to sky battles.  Its called Guns of Icarus:

it is bit different than what we have in mind for our games, but it is interesting none the less.
Hmmmm... I'm intrigue. We could use this as a reference for our this segment.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Yes: In general I think only a portion of the gate should be covered in moss and/or ivy.

If you would really like to include direct control; I would recommend making it so that more than one character could be playable;  IE you would be able to switch perspectives to different characters of your group to perform different actions.

This could also help us develop the story in the game in relation to why you can only pilot small ships at the start of the game.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 pm

Koenig wrote:Yes: In general I think only a portion of the gate should be covered in moss and/or ivy.
Okay. I think I can see that.

Koenig wrote:If you would really like to include direct control; I would recommend making it so that more than one character could be playable;  IE you would be able to switch perspectives to different characters of your group to perform different actions.

This could also help us develop the story in the game in relation to why you can only pilot small ships at the start of the game.
Hmmmmmm... I'm not exactly 100% on that, but that is worth considering. I was thinking being able to enlist people and have relateable side missions. But now that you mention it, it would be interesting to play as other like in GTA 5.
That could work.
It gives me an idea of promoting people to second in command and stuff like that and then having them be playable. But that would mean a lot of coding though. Either way, it is something to ponder about.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next