-Mazer wrote:Legend. Gimme all your useless steam cards yesplease? ^-^
no, they are my useless cards! *Hoards*

But you are not using them!!! *tries to grab some*

Bounty : 41

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Gen Chat XXXVII: Samus is Sexist

Post by smirkytrick on Wed May 07, 2014 11:51 pm

-Mazer wrote:so apparently the gay lesbian people are sad thaty you cannot marry same sex in that nintendo sim thingy
It's not just Ninty
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Not bothering to even give that video the dignity of a click. Not a fan of Game Theory all that much to begin with but no. Games are not Anti-Gay. To be anti-gay they need to openly demonize homosexuality.

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Wed May 07, 2014 11:57 pm

-Mazer wrote:Not bothering to even give that video the dignity of a click. Not a fan of Game Theory all that much to begin with but no. Games are not Anti-Gay. To be anti-gay they need to openly demonize homosexuality.

It's like I said before, companies just choose to ignore and stay away from it. I see nothing wrong with that.
ColumbianLoom

Bounty : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick on Thu May 08, 2014 12:06 am

Well. The only Gay (actually confirmed gay) characters that I know of is Gay Tony from GTA IV and some scrapped Gay Robot that was gonna be in Duke Nukem Forever.

You know, there should be a positive gay game character. At least to break some grounds.
smirkytrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Thu May 08, 2014 12:43 am

smirkytrick wrote:Well. The only Gay (actually confirmed gay) characters that I know of is Gay Tony from GTA IV and some scrapped Gay Robot that was gonna be in Duke Nukem Forever.

You know, there should be a positive gay game character. At least to break some grounds.

We do. He name is Kanji from Persona 4.

Furthermore why do we need a gay character? A majority of games don't ever explore the romance or sexuality of most the of main characters so what is the point? Furthermore x2 - how would you show the audience that he is gay? Make him flame? Have him kiss a man? Have him check out a man? How will that play out in terms of the actual game's storyline?

Outside of a few games, gaming n general doesn't explore character sexuality. You never see Chris Redfield fawning over some woman nor do you see Samus getting all hot under the collar for a guy. So what's the point really?

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick on Thu May 08, 2014 12:56 am

-Mazer wrote:
smirkytrick wrote:Well. The only Gay (actually confirmed gay) characters that I know of is Gay Tony from GTA IV and some scrapped Gay Robot that was gonna be in Duke Nukem Forever.

Furthermore why do we need a gay character? A majority of games don't ever explore the romance or sexuality of most the of main characters so what is the point? Furthermore x2 - how would you show the audience that he is gay? Make him flame? Have him kiss a man? Have him check out a man? How will that play out in terms of the actual game's storyline?

Outside of a few games, gaming n general doesn't explore character sexuality. You never see Chris Redfield fawning over some woman nor do you see Samus getting all hot under the collar for a guy. So what's the point really?
I'm not 100% sure if Kanji does count. Since he still gets a nosebleed for Naoto, no matter if she is a boy or girl.

That is a good point. The game's don't really need to explore any of the characters sexuality. But for the ones that do, it's usually the games that prefer storytelling that usually resort to informing us about the characters sexuality. There's also been a few cases in RPGs that this has shown up as well.

But I'm just saying, if there was a popular game character that was gay. Maybe it would break the mold that that companies like Nintendo are used to.
smirkytrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 on Thu May 08, 2014 12:58 am

Looks like I have quite a ways to go in Child of Light still. Dat melancholy, god this game rocks!

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR CHAPTER 8 OR 9, I FORGET WHICH ONE IT WAS
Spoiler:
Aurora grows up after the first dark sister is defeated. A child she is no longer but a lady of light :p
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:03 am

smirkytrick wrote:But I'm just saying, if there was a popular game character that was gay. Maybe it would break the mold that that companies like Nintendo are used to.
funny thing, you could argue that this has already happened seeing as the game is incredibly relevant considering the port bitching that's gone on everywhere.
LegendX48

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig on Thu May 08, 2014 3:01 am

Meanwhile...I am 60 hours in to Xenoblade and their is still no end in sight...

And the story is only getting better...
Koenig

Bounty : 19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Thu May 08, 2014 5:51 am

welp - you guys missed out on another epic TF2 game. It took place in clocktown and the game actually counts down to Final Day after an hour.

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 am

-Mazer wrote:

That's not really confirmed...

Bounty : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Thu May 08, 2014 11:19 am

smirkytrick wrote:
But I'm just saying, if there was a popular game character that was gay. Maybe it would break the mold that that companies like Nintendo are used to.

But why does Nintendo have to experiment with that? Why does any company have to experiment with that? First off, all these LGBT groups that are complaining about this probably don't even play Nintendo's software to begin with! They're just complaining because Nintendo is popular and they're "excluding gays" making them an easy target.

From a business standpoint, there's no benefit going into that territory because you may be sacrificing your already built fanbase for this LGBT group that might not even buy your game.

And as Mazer said before, what will homosexual relationships add to the overall game experience? Will it make the game more "politically correct" or better in anyway? In the end of the day, Nintendo isn't demonizing any group so I don't see any problems here.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cybersix on Thu May 08, 2014 11:23 am

-Mazer wrote:welp - you guys missed out on another epic TF2 game. It took place in clocktown and the game actually counts down to Final Day after an hour.
I can't play it because I time out after 30 mins Sad
Cybersix

Bounty : 18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick on Thu May 08, 2014 12:34 pm

ColumbianLoom wrote:
smirkytrick wrote:

But why does Nintendo have to experiment with that? Why does any company have to experiment with that? First off, all these LGBT groups that are complaining about this probably don't even play Nintendo's software to begin with! They're just complaining because Nintendo is popular and they're "excluding gays" making them an easy target.

From a business standpoint, there's no benefit going into that territory because you may be sacrificing your already built fanbase for this LGBT group that might not even buy your game.

And as Mazer said before, what will homosexual relationships add to the overall game experience? Will it make the game more "politically correct" or better in anyway? In the end of the day, Nintendo isn't demonizing any group so I don't see any problems here.
That's a good point there.
smirkytrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:25 pm

ColumbianLoom wrote:
they flesh out the character(s) in the game.
LegendX48

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Thu May 08, 2014 1:32 pm

LegendX48 wrote:
ColumbianLoom wrote:

Hmmmm maybe. I just don't really so the point in having them. I think you go into sketchy territory when messing around with homosexuality in video games.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bearhugger29 on Thu May 08, 2014 1:40 pm

Creepy but I love it. Man, after watching all these videos on understanding what makes Mass Effect such a great amazing series. DAMN, I'm obsessed now.
Bearhugger29

Bounty : 10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Thu May 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Bearhugger29 wrote:

Creepy but I love it. Man, after watching all these videos on understanding what makes Mass Effect such a great amazing series. DAMN, I'm obsessed now.

Damn, you're still using Windows Vista?

Do they actually keep supporting the software for it?
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick on Thu May 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Quick Question Mazer, Was lux Tnk?
smirkytrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Thu May 08, 2014 3:06 pm

smirkytrick wrote:Quick Question Mazer, Was lux Tnk?

Tnkdog is my friend named Randy.

Lux was something something burrito I think lol. he was the one who was basically running around but not really killing anyone. I kept following him throughout the match.

OMG that first match with nothing but snipers. How crappy was that

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick on Thu May 08, 2014 3:12 pm

-Mazer wrote:
smirkytrick wrote:Quick Question Mazer, Was lux Tnk?

Tnkdog is my friend named Randy.

Lux was something something burrito I think lol. he was the one who was basically running around but not really killing anyone. I kept following him throughout the match.

OMG that first match with nothing but snipers. How crappy was that
Crappy indeed. Remember when the Final Day Happened and you were all like Gazing at the awesomeness of it? Then while you were still entranced I taunt killed you. Good times.
smirkytrick

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Thu May 08, 2014 3:17 pm

LegendX48 wrote:
ColumbianLoom wrote:

Do they really?

Outside of RPGs that have relationship choices, whenever ever does a character's sexuality actually improve the character? A majority of games never even bother with sexuality both hetro and homo because the entirely of the game is focused strictly on the single storyline and the action gameplay in between.

Does Resident Evil ever focus on sexuality? It may show attraction between character (Clair and Leonardo De Caprio in Code Veronica) but it never has booty calls, open "Hey, check out her ass!" moments. Why? Because the characters are too busy killing things than anything else.

Again; how do you portray a gay character anyway? Do you BrokeBack mountain them? Do you make them all flamboyant? Do you have another character just straight out mention it? "Oh that's our commander. Btw. He's gay."

When you make the sexuality of a character the highlight it just becomes a idiotic gimmick meant to draw in a minority of audiences. How many "normal" gay people (by which I mean are not gays with agendas or wanting to see homosexuality accepted and placed into everything) actually give a damn if Marcus Fenix is gay or not.

As for the Nintendo thing - it turns out that the sim game they are releasing never had gays in it to begin with.

It turns out same sex couples in Tomodachi Life weren't possible to begin with.

Nintendo of America marketing manager, Bill Trinen told IGN the aforementioned bug was in fact a data leak that was activated when transferring Mii's over from the game's DS predecessor. The bug did not cause random gay relationships but it did cause the game to break.

So how does Nintendo explain those screenshots of happy gay couples existing in the Japanese release? Well, Trinen said these were not same sex couples. Japanese players who wanted their Mii to be in a same sex relationship, performed simple gender swaps; male looking characters being slated as female and vice versa.

The screenshots of this phenomena started surfacing at roughly the same time of when the patch was released, causing some to believe Nintendo had patched homosexuality out of the game.

“Because we didn’t have the DS version [in the West], there is no data transfer issue for us. So it was actually two separate things that got lumped together into one piece of confusion that resulted in people not quite understanding what had gone on."

The ability to do these swaps were not removed via the patch however.

While this clears up a major misconception about the game, it certainly doesn't help Nintendo's case here. In eyes of the LBGT community, this revaluation probably doesn't it make things worse, but it certainly doesn't make them better either. It's just another unfortunate mishap to add to the tally.

If you'd like to read more about Nintendo's position on this entire situation, you should certainly click the link provided above.

Thanks to g1 Ultraguy for bringing this info to my attention.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top