Movie Discussion Thread

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Movie Discussion Thread

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun May 24, 2015 5:16 pm

I'm personally getting tired of the MCU in general. It's getting boring watching basically the same movie over and over, no matter how well made they are.

Bounty : 12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 on Sun May 24, 2015 6:27 pm

That's another problem entirely, one that I complained about last year with Guardians. They've been getting very formulaic lately.
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Wed May 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Btw, Daredeveil Netflix series is the best live action superhero thing I've ever seen (well, besides the Dark Knight Trilogy that is. Batman is still on top). Fantastic characters, great plot, awesome villains, lot's of twists and turns, and extremely brutal!

Marvel needs to use the DD writers for some of their other avenger series, they'd do wonders with some of those characters.
ColumbianLoom

Bounty : 6

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunacy on Wed May 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Indeed, I loved it as well. I'm so excited for the other series after that. Especially the Iron Fist series since it's all about Kung Fu, so the fighting should be great.
Lunacy
Admin

Bounty : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Wed May 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Luna wrote:Indeed, I loved it as well. I'm so excited for the other series after that. Especially the Iron Fist series since it's all about Kung Fu, so the fighting should be great.

Holy shit, Iron Fist is getting one? I did hear talk of a "Defenders" series being made eventually, but I didn't really know what that meant since I'm a noobie when it comes to Marvel lol. Is Iron Fist and Dare Devil all apart of the "Defenders"?

EDIT: Ok, I just read up on everything. Seems like Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are getting series too and it will lead up to a Defenders cross over. And I guess all this stuff takes place in the MCU? My only question is, so much stuff seems to happen in New York City. Didn't the aliens in Avengers 1 attack New York or was that another city? I just wonder how some of these superheroes haven't run into each other before since they run on the same turf.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lunacy on Wed May 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Yes, along with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones. The Jessica Jones series is coming out on netflix later this year; it's called "Aka Jessica Jones." Then I think it's gonna be Daredevil Season 2 at the start of next year, followed by the Luke Cage series, then Iron Fist. I think the Defenders is gonna debut next summer.
All of them are gonna have some sort of crossover. Claire, Rosario Dawson's character, is apparently gonna come out in all the series as like a super hero doctor.

edit: Yes, the first Avengers took place in New York (Manhattan). I'm curious to see how the movies are gonna affect these series.
Lunacy
Admin

Bounty : 20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Sat May 30, 2015 11:36 pm

Holy shit.

Mad Max was amazing. Probably the most action-packed movie I've ever seen and the best car battles I've ever seen in a movie. Plus, the characters were all awesome and actually got development within all the chaos, awesome vehicles that were all cleverly designed, the setting was brutal and deserts have never looked so good before, the cgi was also stunning (the sandstorm was something else) and talk about a huge cast of great females. These were some badass ladies, I'll tell you that much. Also Max was the man.

And the action was just so well made, I mean, it was just nonstop craziness but it was so damn ingenious. Awesome angles, unique scenarios, and it was fluid. Whenever there was action, it almost nonstop and gripping. There was no moment to breathe or take a rest until someone was completely decimated. Also, the main cast never felt too OP either, the bad guys were skilled. It all felt like equal ground.

Also the plot was straight forward, but compelling. The want to survive, flourish, and keep hope. There was meaning underneath all the insanity and the movie showed that some times your dreams don't always turn out to be what you wanted it to be, but there's still a chance to fulfill them, just not in the way you originally thought.

Everything was just well made and nothing was fed to you on a silver platter, you got to come to the conclusions yourselves.

Man, I'd give it a 9-10/10, absolutely awesome movie. I recommend it to all.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Sun May 31, 2015 12:45 am

This is the action movie I've been waiting for. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marvel films and such but it's been SO DAMN LONG since we had an action movie that was dark, gritty, and REAL. I mean the cars, the stunts, the action was almost entirely practical effects and it made the entire movie feel REAL. The threat of death felt REAL.

I love that Immortan Joe was not some mindless psychopath. He was a super con-artist and practically a Religious Cult Leader. I mean in my tumblr blog I mention why the kidnapping was so important and it was because he wanted to maintain his image as a God and he actually believes that he is a God now.

AMAZING villain.

Bounty : 41

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Sun May 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Totally agreed Mazer. Well said.

Also from Wikipedia, there' enough material for two more movies and the sequel is already being made! FUCK YES!!!!!
In 2011, Miller and McCarthy found during the writing process for Fury Road that they had enough story material for two additional scripts. One of these, entitled Mad Max: Furiosa, had already been completed, and Miller hoped to film it after the release of Fury Road.[88] In March 2015, during an interview with Esquire magazine, Hardy revealed that he was attached to star in four more Mad Max films following Fury Road.[89] In May 2015, Miller told Wired magazine, "Should [Fury Road] be successful, I've got two other stories to tell."[90] Later in May, Miller revealed that plans for the sequel had changed and the working title for the next installment will be Mad Max: The Wasteland.[91][92]
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Sun May 31, 2015 1:31 pm

Hugh Howey, author of the mega-popular post-apocalyptic novel Wool, also praises the film for its rich themes, such as the idea that we should make life better in the here and now, and not dream about running off to some better world.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/geeks-guide-mad-max/

Totally agreed! I lived this theme! Thought it was powerful and relevant.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun May 31, 2015 1:31 pm

So much amazing detail in that movie, like the steering wheel shrine.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Sun May 31, 2015 1:53 pm

TensePsychopath wrote:So much amazing detail in that movie, like the steering wheel shrine.

Ya, that was awesome. It was interesting how their cult/region-thing was so heavily based on vehicles. Riding in the cars and getting a steering wheel was huge privilege.

EDIT:

From Forbes:
Where other movies would develop character and build worlds and move the plot forward with pages upon pages of expository dialogue, this one does all of the above with just a handful of words, some incredible visuals, and a whole lot of facial expressions. Basically, Fury Road is a masterpiece of minimalistic storytelling, and the most satisfying movie I’ve seen in years.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Sun May 31, 2015 2:46 pm

The whole story was deeper then no-minds can comprehend. It's not just about kidnapping cute girls from a psychopath. It's about taking down a God and an entire religion - Though that is not what Furiosa is planning.

You have a paradise in the middle of an absolute hellhole. A paradise run by one monster beast of a man who rules over it using ancient religion and water. He has the poor worship him as he is the bringer of water and it seems he actually is a semi-decent ruler as no one truly wants to assassinate him or anything.

He brings the dying and sick to his door and teaches them about Valhalla where they will be reborn "Shiny and Chrome" which is obviously a metaphor of them being as beautiful and clean as the women Immortan Joe collects and own. No disfigurations, no cancers; healthy and clean.

He uses manipulation to keep the populous under control - telling them that supplies are scarce yet making sure they get just enough to keep them worshipping his rule. He is the bringer of water, the teacher of Valhalla, and the prophet of Chrome.

The sick are given a second chance at life by serving in his army and they don't see death as something to be feared. They do not feel like servants whose lives are being thrown away by their General. They WANT to fight. "WITNESS ME!" They cry out before they perish and the others do so. They are PROUD to be with Immortan Joe, they are not slaves or sociophants but proud warriors. Vikings, Spartans. They DIE for their Heaven.

Then a girl who has a history of causing issues Steals from the God. She STEALS from the GOD. Not water, not food but his wives. The beings in which his entire family line resides. He NEEDS them to produce offspring that are not deformed, not cancer-ridden so that his legacy, his GODHOOD, can continue. He has 2 sons but one is a giant of a man who isn't very bright and the other is a deformed midget...he NEEDS that "Chrome" son to carry on his legacy.

If he lets them go, he shows weakness to his subjects. He is no longer a god but a mere mortal.

Everything he does is to show that he is no longer human. The armor, the mask, the powder on his skin - but if he is bested, all his godhood is ruined. He is mortal and can be overthrown.

Then things get even worse when he discovers his would-be-son WAS perfect...Not only did they steal from him, but they denied him the first flawless child he would of have...

Now he has no choice but to utterly burn Max and Furiosa least he loses everything.

*drops mic. Walks away*

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Sun May 31, 2015 2:53 pm

Max's back tattoo reads: Day 12045, ht 10 hands, 180 lbs, No Name, No Lumps, No Bumps, Full Life Clear, Two good eyes, No Busted limbs, Plies OK, Genitals Intact, Multiple Scars, Heals Fast, O-NEGATIVE, HIGH-OCTANE, UNIVERSAL DONOR, Lone Road Warrior Rundown on The Powder Lakes V8, No Guzzoline, No Supplies, ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC, Keep Muzzled...

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun May 31, 2015 5:25 pm

Just saw Tomorrowland. Freaking mess of a movie.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Sun May 31, 2015 5:28 pm

Really?? Why? Been dying to see it

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun May 31, 2015 6:07 pm

Main problem is the movie takes about an hour and thirty minutes to really get the plot going, and when it finally does it ends up being very vague and confusing. There's an early part where the main character says something like "I keep asking you questions and you won't answer me!". I felt her frustration lol. The weirdest thing about the movie is it feels like there was ton of exposition but then many things still felt under explained.

Basically, it gave me a serious case of movie blue balls.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:57 pm

Song of The Sea

The feels!!! This story/plot was much more coherent than Secret of Kells and the movie overall was better than Kells, big time. Need to buy this.
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer on Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Amazing facts about the side characters and main characters in MM:FR

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Coma-Doof_Warrior

e was a child musical prodigy brought up in a happy environment by his mother who was a musician herself. Then Coma and his mother were attacked. His mother was dragged away and days later someone dropped her head in Coma's lap. Immortan Joe found Coma clinging to the head of his mother. Joe took him in. The origin of his mask has two different sources:

Coma made a mask from his mother's face, which he sliced from her skull himself.[1]

Immortan Joe made the mask for him, a battle singer, to "Enact Joe's revenge on the world with his mother's screaming face on"[2]

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Immortan_Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:59 pm

Jurassic World was really good. Just goofy enough without going overboard, and Chris Pratt was pure badass. There are some annoyances, but they're really things you just have to accept with modern blockbusters.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 am

San Andreas was good fun. I at least thought it was better than 2012. California is going into the sea! I'd probably give it a 6/10 at the highest.

@Tense, glad to hear to it. Can't wait to watch it next weekend.
ColumbianLoom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Re-posting my extended thoughts on Terminator Genisys in here just because.

Well if you've seen the trailers you pretty much know the whole plot, there are no surprises not already spoiled there.

For starters, Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney are both woefully miscast. Clarke just isn't believable as an action girl, and as Sarah Conner she comes off as whiny and childish, not at all badass. Every time she tried to be feisty and sarcastic (which was pretty much all the time), I just rolled my eyes and became more and more irritated. Jai Courtney is a charisma vacuum with no presence whatsoever as an actor. Schwarzenegger is the one part of this movie that isn't totally bland and forgettable.

The movie as whole is just dull. Most of the action scenes boil down to two Terminators smacking each other with no effect. Sarah Conner and Kyle Reese just stand around shooting stuff and never seem scared or in real danger, so there's absolutely no tension or sense of stakes throughout the entire movie. It's one of those action movies where everything just seems like a random set-piece to fill time until the climax, with no rhyme or reason to it and no sense of pace. There's a stretch of time near the middle where you have three big action scenes back to back, then about three long "emotional" scenes where the characters monologue about stuff back to back. 90% of the humor falls completely flat too, and feels like a very weak imitation of a Marvel movie.

And all that's not even getting into the borderline incomprehensible time travel nonsense. I can't even be bothered to talk about this, the movie was just so boring that I quickly stopped trying to figure out what was going on, as I just didn't care.

Also the Minions movie was ok.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TensePsychopath on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:18 am

Ted 2 sucked balls.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content