Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pop-Up Theatre:

4 posters

Go down

Pop-Up Theatre: Empty Pop-Up Theatre:

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 pm

The "Pop Up Theatre" is essential a game themes itself after a pop up book along with theater aspects.

Mechanically, the game would be very similar to the original Paper Mario games and SP:The Stick of Truth. That is to say that the majority of the graphics are built on 2D models and set in a proscenium themed 3D environment, while battles would also be turn based, though with a few alterations based around a collectible card aspect.

The story of Pop Up theatre would essentially revolve around the players avatar (Who would remain silent) getting trapped in a "Story book" and gradually enlisting the help of other NPC's along the way. It seems that someone has been traveling through time and making all of history play out wrong, and the player along with his party would be task by the spirits of Past, Present, and Future to help put the world back in order.
(The player and his NPC's would have to travel through 3 different time lines to ensure that certain key events happen, and correct those that have been altered)

Likewise, many of the main stories that the player would encounter I would like to base on classic literature or fables-the catch being the many of the actions of the characters in them influence later characters in similar stories.

Thoughts/Questions?
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Pop-Up Theatre: Empty Re: Pop-Up Theatre:

Post by Koenig Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:36 pm

So far this is what I have come up with for the basic combat summary:

The players combat menu would set up to a few different systems while set under a "timer" that factors into when each player can attack, and how long a player is allowed to do nothing.

The three main options are as follows:
-Standard maneuvers
-Team attacks
-Event/Prop cards

The basic combat of the game would be similar to that of Paper Mario, South Park: The stick of truth, and Costume Quest; in that almost all moves done by the player or the enemy would be executed or defended against via means of interactive micro-games and timed controller input.

Standard maneuvers would essentially be everything that is available to player at all times, such as basic attacks, stances, and maneuvers that the player could use to inflict damage, alter their stats (defend) change position on the battle field, use items, or flee should the battle become to much for the player to handle.

Team attacks are just like what they sound, attacks in which multiple members of the team combine their unique abilities to unleash special attacks or status effects. These attacks would be made available to the player as the base moves required to use them are unlocked by each character, and as the player manages to build the relationship/side stories between them.

Event/Props are the third category that is a bit more unique to most RPG's.
In this category the player has access to a hand of collectible cards and can spend Mana/action points to use them instead of their regular moves. These cards range in a power and cost, as well as limiting which characters can use them. Cards can be drawn and discarded as well. In some cases, special key items/cards can be automatically forced into the players hand for use during special boss fights.

Thoughts/Questions?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Set up of turn based fights:

The previous post covered the basic mechanics of the players menu, but not the actual location or scene of the battle segments, hence this post!

As mentioned before the majority of the game would take place in a proscenium camera view, however battles would take this even further by including an audience off towards the bottoms of the screen,  while the rest of the battle would take place on a stage. (Very similar to Paper Mario and the thousand year door)  However instead of players being limited to one portion of the stage, every battle would have a number locations in which each member of the players party (or the enemy) could be positioned, granting stat bonuses and affecting the options available to each.

Likewise, during the mode the stage might not be forced to be proscenium, but could be any number of stage configurations based on the location on where the battle is taking place. (Thus the theater could resemble other forms such a kaboki set ups or non conformist designs)

The audience would essentially give the player reason to perform risk/reward actions, as completing them well or appealing to the audience with certain requested moves could allow for "encore" attacks or intermissions which would give the player extra time to heal.

Likewise, I did mention a timer before so I suppose I should elaborate what I had in mind.  Every player and enemy would have a basic speed stat that would build up after every action, once these stats built up to a set number the battle would freeze and the player would be prompted to make his move (or, in the case of the enemy, they would make their move) The catch is lingering too long on a turn would either make the audience angry or allow the enemy to launch a surprise attack of their own. (Though certain status effects could allow the player to attack during enemy turns as well)  

All of this would be dictated by a timer counting down on each turn, with highlighted sections on a stop watch icon indicating ideal reaction time, neutral times, dangerous times, or special times to make your move.

Thoughts/Questions?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Another thought about the combat system:(HP/Mana/Actions)

I was thinking that the typical setup where all units have their own mana, actions, magic, etc might get a little confusing, especially with units being able to move to different positions from each other, so I think that sizing things down a bit might be in order.

The only two major meters each character have to themselves are HP an actions, where as all other other aspects such as Mana and miscellaneous features would be shared by the entire party.  HP and actions would be bundled into the same box for each character and a set of them (one for each character) would be displayed at the top of the screen.  Underneath them would be nestled the shared Mana meter along with the other match specific stats such as how the audience's mood is favoring the player, and alternative methods.

Thoughts/Questions?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:15 pm

Note: When I say Thoughts/Suggestions it is because I do want feedback on anything you think about of the idea's I proposed. Do you agree? Disagree? What are your own thoughts on how it could work better? Or what are your concerns? ANY and ALL feedback is something I want, negative or otherwise.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:10 am

So, when you say actions meters do you mean that as in moves/abilities and the meter is essentially like the power points stuff in pokemon? If so... I don't think that's a good idea/thing to have (I fucking hate systems like that personally. They make no logical sense). I'd say go for HP and MP bars, no action points/meters.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:18 am

LegendX48 wrote:So, when you say actions meters do you mean that as in moves/abilities and the meter is essentially like the power points stuff in pokemon? If so... I don't think that's a good idea/thing to have (I fucking hate systems like that personally. They make no logical sense). I'd say go for HP and MP bars, no action points/meters.
That is not exactly what I had in mind.  What I was thinking was a point system that each character had that renewed by a set amount after each action, and could be saved up or increased slightly by using different moves.  Every move would then have a price of action points to be spent. The idea being a risk/reward system such that as long as a character had action points they could continue to use moves in their turn, or they could save up points to use at a later time. (Bravely default is the only other game i can think of that uses a system similar to this)

Does that seem like it would work better, or at all?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:24 am

Koenig wrote:
LegendX48 wrote:So, when you say actions meters do you mean that as in moves/abilities and the meter is essentially like the power points stuff in pokemon? If so... I don't think that's a good idea/thing to have (I fucking hate systems like that personally. They make no logical sense). I'd say go for HP and MP bars, no action points/meters.
That is not exactly what I had in mind.  What I was thinking was a point system that each character had that renewed by a set amount after each action, and could be saved up or increased slightly by using different moves.  Every move would then have a price of action points to be spent. The idea being a risk/reward system such that as long as a character had action points they could continue to use moves in their turn, or they could save up points to use at a later time. (Bravely default is the only other game i can think of that uses a system similar to this)

Oh, I think I see what you meant. More along the lines of the Brave/Default system. I think it could work but it'd be tricky to pull off.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:45 am

LegendX48 wrote:
Koenig wrote:

Oh, I think I see what you meant. More along the lines of the Brave/Default system. I think it could work but it'd be tricky to pull off.
Agreed. In general I was thinking it would be a few more points than Bravely Default though.

For example: You would get 2-3 points per turn, but basic actions would take 2 points, more powerful actions would take three (or more) , and less important actions would take fewer. This way there would a be a little more variety with it, but It is something I am still unsure of.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:04 pm

*eeps seeing he has a lot to catch up on,....begins reading
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Bounty : 41

https://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:15 pm

-Mazer wrote:*eeps seeing he has a lot to catch up on,....begins reading
Very Happy

In regards to character stats and abilities I also wanted to scale things a little differently than the usual RPG.
Most stats would start around 10 but could increase to upwards of around 300 by the end of the game. Neither too or too small to confuse or overwhelm the player.

Character equipment on the other hand would be limited to three things kinds:
-Armor/Clothing
-Skills/Stickers
-Class/Equipment

Armor and clothing would be limited to single sets of armor. Instead of having to mix and match several pieces of gear, each character would instead equip one single "set" of armor/clothing. These sets would be pre built and would put less burden on the assets team such that they could be displayed in the game rather than just being a stat boost. Likewise by cutting it down to a single piece of gear players would not have to worry about grinding out equipment all the time and could instead focus on one or two armor sets at a time that suits their play style.

Skills/Stickers would be a bit different. These are the custom abilities each character would have by default along with those that could be added during play, and each would be represented by a "sticker" that would range in size and shape depending on its power. Each character would have their own page to place these stickers (A grid of slots) and more slots would be made available as the player leveled up. To equip a sticker (skill) players would simply have to make sure that it would fit into an open slot without it overlapping. (So essentially like an inventory system)

Equipment on the other hand would be fairy strait forward. A player would be given the option to equip a single weapon and secondary item, which would then factor into what attacks the player could perform during battle and the stats associated with it. Nothing too complex.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 pm

so you say collectible cards.

and using them.

is this to be taken that you have cards you get while playing the game ect.
and then they are randomly given to you in battle where you can use resources to use them?

the big other thing is do they get used up if you use them?
zulux21
zulux21

Bounty : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:53 am

zulux21 wrote:so you say collectible cards.

and using them.

and then they are randomly given to you in battle where you can use resources to use them?

Yes, sort-of, and no.

The cards would be found during the game, either as items drops, quest rewards, or hidden collectibles.  From these cards the player could make a deck from which all characters would have access to during battles, though the deck would have a limited size.  However only a few cards (a hand of 5-7 cards) would be available at any given time, so the player would want to organize and balance their deck to suit their needs and odds for the best output.

And finally on that note, No, the cards would not be used up when they are used. (though some cards might have points assigned to them for limited but renewable uses. I just don't know if we should include that as it might complicate things for no reason)

What do you think would work best?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:54 pm

Koenig wrote:
zulux21 wrote:so you say collectible cards.

and using them.

Yes, sort-of, and no.

The cards would be found during the game, either as items drops, quest rewards, or hidden collectibles.  From these cards the player could make a deck from which all characters would have access to during battles, though the deck would have a limited size.  However only a few cards (a hand of 5-7 cards) would be available at any given time, so the player would want to organize and balance their deck to suit their needs and odds for the best output.

And finally on that note, No, the cards would not be used up when they are used. (though some cards might have points assigned to them for limited but renewable uses. I just don't know if we should include that as it might complicate things for no reason)

What do you think would work best?

I was hoping you would say they won't be used up, as if they were they would fall into the category that a lot of high end items do for many players like myself... save them until I really need them and then don't use them because the end credits rolled lol.

As for limitations, I think for the more powerful cards a simple limitation would be good. a simple limitation in this sense would be something like you have to rest in an inn to refresh the counter, or use reasonably common (or purchasable) items. With very powerful super limited use cards a harder to restore count is fine, but keep in mind that if you make it to hard to do that it will mostly go to waste as there are a ton of people out there like myself who don't use things like elixirs even though you end up with like 30 of them by the end of a FF game just because they are rare and powerful and hard to replace.

from a programming standpoint, unless you are very attached to an in depth card system like that though I would recommend just sticking with a simpler system it will be much faster to program and less likely to have random errors pop up that mess with it, but that is just my thoughts, I am not sure how grand you want this thing to be or your experience. I only have basic coding knowledge from mathematica and a semester of Java so it's not like I am an expert, just know enough to know how much more things get mess up when you have multiple systems in place on the same thing.
zulux21
zulux21

Bounty : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Good points all around.  Half the reason I did not want cards to be used up is because most player would definitely hoard them and never actually use them. (The other half is that if cards were used up after a single use, it would greatly defeat the purpose of collecting them to begin with) You would not believe how many max tier items I have held onto past the point they would have actually been useful...Then again, I think that is the case for most people...

Probably spending items or special points not tied directly to a card would make the most sense though, as this way we could prevent players from spamming their most powerful cards without a mess of confusing code tying each card to its own limited uses.

That said, I am relatively attached to the card design, but I can definitely concede it if it were to get in the way.  I just feel that having a collectible aspect to a game that actually factors into how you play makes a HUGE different in how easy it is for some people to become invested.  Though from a programming standpoint I am not sure how hard it would be, wouldn't we just need to create a matrix and set of secondary systems to hold the cards and their values?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Random thought: If we keep the timer system and and/or some the perks used with it, do you think it would be better for an NPC to initiate the penalty/reward rather than an enemy?

For example: if the player took too long on his turn an "audience" member might throw a tomato on the stage or release a "boo", dealing damage or inflicting status ailments respectively. Inversely, if the player performed well the audience would be responsible for calling out an encore, and giving the player the option to do a second attack.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:25 pm

Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:02 pm

I think the audience idea would be a lot fun to be honest. It adds a quirkiness that appeals to my interests
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Bounty : 41

https://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:11 pm

-Mazer wrote:I think the audience idea would be a lot fun to be honest. It adds a quirkiness that appeals to my interests
Any tips/suggestions ?

I suppose if we somehow were able to make the game a high enough quality we could integrate player mii's into the audience for shits and giggles. Alternatively and more on point we might introduce characters and NPCs that the player had met up to that point in the story, show glimpses of them in the audience and increasing the number that show up the more side quests and such that the player completes.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 pm

I openly admit I suck at story writing, but here are just a few idea's I had for possible sidequests or story arch, at least in regard to integrating and parodying existing classic literature.

Meeting King Aurthor and fighting for camelot. Saving/Befriending captain nemo, alloying for a change in the future. Kidnapping/escorting Ebeneezer Scrooge through past/present/future. Meeting the creator of "The time Machine" and using it to set things right. Stop the war of the worlds by altering the future, etc.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum