SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by LegendX48 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:52 pm

Have at thee!



Edit: I should have said earlier, don't worry about spoiler tagging, this is a spoiler thread after all :p


Last edited by LegendX48 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
LegendX48

Posts : 5296
Bounty : 16
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 26
Location : Lying in the snow, staring up at the sky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by -Mazer on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:32 pm

-Mazer wrote:
TensePsychopath wrote:Your spoiler kinda failed there.

Spoiler:
Were you not bothered at all by how highly derivative the plot was and how much it took straight from ANH? Also the pacing was absurdly fast, stuff like Han Solo's death just whizzed by far too quickly with hardly and contemplation.

Spoiler:
Oh, it was basically ANH and ESB combined in one movie but that didn't bother me. I see it as both a sequel and a reboot - they touched bases with what made the original trilogy well known giving nods and references to the original films while ignoring most of the prequels. As for the pacing - I felt it was fast when required but slowed down during the more character building parts. The death happened near the end of the movie and during the middle of a huge war so I can understand why it wasn't focused on for a long stretch of time. It hurt seeing it, esp Leia's facial expression afterwards...And Chewie's blind rage? Fantastic seeing it happen.

However, I knew it was happening because I know Ford's history with wanting Solo to die to begin with.

_________________
avatar
-Mazer
Admin

Posts : 8005
Bounty : 41
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 34

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by LegendX48 on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:00 pm

I'd go one step further. It went over the story beats of the entire original trilogy, New Hope, Empire and Jedi. I'll also agree that the pace was rather quick.

Rey Skywalker, she's Luke's daughter and no one can tell me any different!
avatar
LegendX48

Posts : 5296
Bounty : 16
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 26
Location : Lying in the snow, staring up at the sky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by -Mazer on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:31 pm

LegendX48 wrote:I'd go one step further. It went over the story beats of the entire original trilogy, New Hope, Empire and Jedi. I'll also agree that the pace was rather quick.

Rey Skywalker, she's Luke's daughter and no one can tell me any different!

Her being his daughter makes more sense than her being Kylo's sister.

I can agree with the very fast pacing but I think it was sort of necessary for how much they needed to do within 138 minutes. I don't think the movies suffered for the pace, however. Does fast pace=negative?

_________________
avatar
-Mazer
Admin

Posts : 8005
Bounty : 41
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 34

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by TensePsychopath on Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:53 am

-Mazer wrote:
LegendX48 wrote:I'd go one step further. It went over the story beats of the entire original trilogy, New Hope, Empire and Jedi. I'll also agree that the pace was rather quick.

Rey Skywalker, she's Luke's daughter and no one can tell me any different!

Her being his daughter makes more sense than her being Kylo's sister.

I can agree with the very fast pacing but I think it was sort of necessary for how much they needed to do within 138 minutes. I don't think the movies suffered for the pace, however. Does fast pace=negative?

It does when serious scenes don't get any room to breathe and be taken in because the movie is already jumping ahead to the next thing. Empire's scenes of Luke's training are spread out and build fantastic atmosphere as a result. In this movie Rey becomes a huge badass with no training at all.

_________________
avatar
TensePsychopath

Posts : 1511
Bounty : 12
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by LegendX48 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Why do people keep saying that Rey becomes a huge badass out of nowhere? Ren was still super green and wounded while both Fin and Rey clearly had no idea what the heck they were doing with the lightsaber and just using it like a club. Rey at the very least knew how to use a staff and could semi translate that into using it but I thought it was pretty clear that she just went ham on him after her force focus, there was zero skill in what she was doing, just straight wailing and hoping for the best to avenge her friend.

However, to play devil's advocate a little bit, Rey is more than likely a Skywalker I'd say and that whole blood line is gifted with the force.
avatar
LegendX48

Posts : 5296
Bounty : 16
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 26
Location : Lying in the snow, staring up at the sky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by -Mazer on Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:01 pm

TensePsychopath wrote:
-Mazer wrote:
LegendX48 wrote:I'd go one step further. It went over the story beats of the entire original trilogy, New Hope, Empire and Jedi. I'll also agree that the pace was rather quick.

Rey Skywalker, she's Luke's daughter and no one can tell me any different!

Her being his daughter makes more sense than her being Kylo's sister.

I can agree with the very fast pacing but I think it was sort of necessary for how much they needed to do within 138 minutes. I don't think the movies suffered for the pace, however. Does fast pace=negative?

It does when serious scenes don't get any room to breathe and be taken in because the movie is already jumping ahead to the next thing. Empire's scenes of Luke's training are spread out and build fantastic atmosphere as a result. In this movie Rey becomes a huge badass with no training at all.

I agree with legend. She is no greenhorn like Anakin or Luke when it comes to life. She actually had to fight to survive and was never coddled. She learned how to use weapons at a young age.

Plus (using books here), those sensitive to the force, even powerfully so, can tap into it without realizing it. I promise you the reason she was a good scavenger, pilot, and fighter is because she was able to tap into the force to a degree. Almost all Force users, even without training, tap into it by mistake. And with Legend's point, she fought an already very badly injured Ren and his lack of focus really worked against him.

As for the Pacing - I feel you cannot compare this movie's pacing to Empire. Empire was the 2nd movie that already had all the characters established. We had the villain, we had the mains, we had the overall idea so they were able to slow it down.

Look at ANH. We get the same amount of time between Ben's death that we did with Han's before the action kicked into high gear.

Ben dies - huge fire fight followed by Tie Fighters followed by Death Star run
Han Dies - Huge Fire Fight, followed by space battle followed by lightsaber duels.


_________________
avatar
-Mazer
Admin

Posts : 8005
Bounty : 41
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 34

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by LegendX48 on Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:46 pm

saw it again and noticed something, albeit insignificant, but something I didn't before. C-3PO has his normal arm back at the end and there's a red one like one or two people across from him as they wave Rey, Chewie and R2 goodbye
avatar
LegendX48

Posts : 5296
Bounty : 16
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 26
Location : Lying in the snow, staring up at the sky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Ochi on Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:29 am

LegendX48 wrote:saw it again and noticed something, albeit insignificant, but something I didn't before. C-3PO has his normal arm back at the end and there's a red one like one or two people across from him as they wave Rey, Chewie and R2 goodbye

lol probably a production mistake or an easter egg Very Happy


Also I gotta say I'm disappointed with how little of Captain Phasma we actually see in the movie. She was played up to be a badass and instead she has barely any screen time at all. She didn't even get as much time as Boba Fett....

Mad
avatar
Ochi

Posts : 203
Bounty : 2
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by LegendX48 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 am

I will never understand the hype around Phasma. She's just a chrome stormtrooper, nothing special ._.
avatar
LegendX48

Posts : 5296
Bounty : 16
Join date : 2011-11-29
Age : 26
Location : Lying in the snow, staring up at the sky.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Ochi on Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:44 pm

LegendX48 wrote:I will never understand the hype around Phasma. She's just a chrome stormtrooper, nothing special ._.


Well at the time prior to the movie she was hyped up. that's the thing with hype, the hype was made up with no real information.

Everyone thought Phasma would be more of a bad ass than she was, precisely because she was decked out in special armor

At the begining of the movie there are only 2 notable storm troopers, Phasma and Fin. Phasma has the special armor and Fin gets the bloody mark on his helmet to differentiatiate him. That visual significance was basically thrown out after Fin escapes because we don't see her again until like the end of the movie
avatar
Ochi

Posts : 203
Bounty : 2
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by TensePsychopath on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:49 pm


_________________
avatar
TensePsychopath

Posts : 1511
Bounty : 12
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Cybersix on Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:46 pm

avatar
Cybersix

Posts : 3023
Bounty : 18
Join date : 2011-09-02
Age : 25
Location : Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by TensePsychopath on Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:11 am

Saw it again. The only thing that really bothers me is the the Death Star 3.0. It's really annoying when the climatic lightsaber fight is interrupted so we can see a nearly identical scene of the X-Wing pilots destroying it.

_________________
avatar
TensePsychopath

Posts : 1511
Bounty : 12
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Squirrel500 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:25 pm

so my thoughts on star wars, I am pissed about what they did to han, I wanted to yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much when that part happened but I don't think he is dead and I also think the rei is luke's daughter, not sure who her mom is but at least it seems like she is his kid. also kinda like that han and leia's son is the new bad guy but he is ugly as fuck
avatar
Squirrel500

Posts : 1253
Bounty : 7
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Ochi on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 am

Squirrel500 wrote:so my thoughts on star wars, I am pissed about what they did to han, I wanted to yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much when that part happened but I don't think he is dead and I also think the rei is luke's daughter, not sure who her mom is but at least it seems like she is his kid. also kinda like that han and leia's son is the new bad guy but he is ugly as fuck

I think I heard somewhere that Harrison Ford asked to be killed off since he's so old
avatar
Ochi

Posts : 203
Bounty : 2
Join date : 2011-10-21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by -Mazer on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Ochi wrote:
Squirrel500 wrote:so my thoughts on star wars, I am pissed about what they did to han, I wanted to yell NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! so much when that part happened but I don't think he is dead and I also think the rei is luke's daughter, not sure who her mom is but at least it seems like she is his kid. also kinda like that han and leia's son is the new bad guy but he is ugly as fuck

I think I heard somewhere that Harrison Ford asked to be killed off since he's so old
\
He wanted to kill off Solo since Jedi.

_________________
avatar
-Mazer
Admin

Posts : 8005
Bounty : 41
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 34

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Koenig on Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:10 pm

Frankly, I enjoyed the movie based on its own merits; however when I compare it to other star wars movies it felt like a step backwards in terms of story development and plot progression.

Perhaps I am just bias since I read the Thrawn Trilogy, but the force awakens feels more like a retread than a new movie. Killing off Han Solo was one of the best parts IMO, I just wish his son was not such a whiny bitch.
avatar
Koenig

Posts : 4422
Bounty : 19
Join date : 2012-12-10
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by -Mazer on Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:02 pm

I disagree that Ben was a whiny bitch Razz

_________________
avatar
-Mazer
Admin

Posts : 8005
Bounty : 41
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 34

View user profile http://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: SPOILERS! Star Wars: The Force Awakens SPOILERS!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum