Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept)

+2
-Mazer
Koenig
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept) - Page 3 Empty Re: Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept)

Post by Koenig Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:49 am

Here are a few prototype scenarios I have been bouncing content off of. Please feel free to share your thought on them. Note that the following scenarios are not final, and may be abandoned all together.

Skull Key revealed:
The toymaker has entrusted a corrupted automaton with one of her skull keys, and she has instructed it to use it to corrupt other automatons throughout the city. While initially unnoticed, the Key bearer is eventually found out and cornered by Silver and company. A fight ensues, and Silver is able to quickly disarm the automaton; but before they can restrain him, the automaton uses the skull key on himself; prompting a second fight sequence. The skull key begins to "Wind" and the automaton begins to shake and twitch as the power inside him begins to overload. After the winding is complete (which takes roughly 10-15 seconds) the automaton is now under the direct control of the key itself, and his strength has increased exponentially. Now outmatched, Silver and company have to regroup in order to disable the Skull key.

Skyport battle:
The Steamlords have uncovered and confiscated an advanced piece of technology; and they have transported it one of cargo-vaults in Skyport. the piece of technology in question is crucial to the plans of the Alchemist, and in order to get it back he orchestrates a surprise attack on skyport with a group of of airships. The resulting battle (Which was timed so that few Steamlord skyships are in the vicinity) ultimately fails, but leaves Skyport all but defenseless. Frustrated but determined, the alchemist releases his most powerfull weapon (Either by the instruction of the Architecht, or in the hopes destroying the technology so the Steamlords can't copy it) which had not been used since the cival war. He launches an armed alchemic core at Skyport (Literal translation: Atomic bomb) The steamlords who have just begun to relax, detect the incoming missal and its radiological signal and enter a state of absolute panic. The Prime Steamlord orders all civilian and non essential personal to abandon base while the remaining battleships (Winter and Spring) attempt to intercept the missal. They succeed in diverting the missal away from skyport, but not from stopping its detonation. The bomb misses Skyport but detonates in the ocean behind it. The resulting shock wave destroys several of Skyports Void cores, which causes the complex to rapidly lose altitude. In order to prevent the port from being destroyed, the Steamlords enact an emergency procedure in which all the Cargo bays, Docks, and Nonessential section of the complex are jettisoned from the remaining Void Cores. Winter and Spring also latch on to the Skyport's main frame in an attempt to stops its decent. Skyport regains its stability and limps away towards the nearest Island for repairs.

Meanwhile: A submersible piloted by "Butler" scours the ocean floor, looking through various piles of cargo and port-wreckage to find a certain object. With a successful mission, the Alchemists technology is recovered.
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept) - Page 3 Empty Re: Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept)

Post by Koenig Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:59 pm

New creature: Ferro-Forms.

Ferro-Forms are independent automata who are comprised of a solid metallic core and shapeless ferro-fluid that can be bent to their will. In other words, shapeshifters.
As long as they have enough ferro-fluid and energy needed, they can change their body to any shape or animation they know. Despite their shifting ability's however, they can not impersonate other non metallic objects (As their ferro-fluid can not replicate color or texture; T-1000 they are not) 

Ferroforms were created during the war to serve as multifunction automatons, but at some point the majority of them went rouge and became independent. Unlike their automaton brethren, ferro-forms are more animalistic and instinct driven. They went rouge in an effort to survive and function on their own; regardless of which side they were formerly used by. As time went on, most Ferroforms became inert, and modern technology can not replicate the same quality ferro-fluid used by the Ferroforms; as a result very few exist in their original ferro-fluidic-form

Fire-forms: To compensate for their loss of power and compatible magnetic fluids, some Ferroforms abandoned their original ferro in exchange for iron rich magma; which could supply both the energy needed to keep them alive and the magnetic flexibility to take form. Only a fraction of the automata survived this transition, but those that did have remained in the magma chambers ever since.

Because Fireforms need to continually draw power from their magma, they can never leave the furnace-like conditions of the Volcano and magma chambers. (Well, technically they can, but only at extream risk to themselves-Imagine going for a walk at the South Pole with no clothing)

Both ferro and fire forms tend to be neutral, choosing to ignore others as long as they in turn are left alone.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 pm

New Gadget: Vortex Parasol

Original developed from a gameplay idea, the Vortex parasol is a spring loaded parasol that can turns its canopy into a screw-like propeller. This allows the user (Presumably Rust or Silver) the become airborne and hover or float until the spring's tension is lost; at which point the user must land (or fall) and manually restock the spring to be used again. Inspired by Da Vinci's aerial screw, the Vortex Parasol would resemble a spiral rather than a propeller.

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept) - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7jnud6xrX1iu_A5M3Krea-xMHYOY9-AMlPf4nuUgEZB1zWGbkXQ

Unlike similar devices from other media sources; the Vortex parasol would not allow extended flight or mobility, but rather a brief peroid in which the user can gain altitude and glide.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:46 pm

New character: Rezam. (Pronounced Ray-zam) 

Roughly 30 years old, when compared to the many elder-like colleagues, Rezam one of the younger members of the Steamlords; Though still older than Rust and most of the modern apprentices. Rezam is an eccentric extrovert, and often finds himself at the center of attention regardless of his own intentions. Friendly but odd, Rezam is allways busy with one project or another, and is very willing to help out others when able. Over the years, Rezam has gained the knack for performing magic "tricks," the collection of which ranges from conventional sleight of hand to Steamlord specific mechanical manipulation. Though he is not officially considered a magician, Many characters will refer to him as such.

Rezam typically wears a black frock with crimson lining. His Steamhat matches his magician like activity's, and he often carries a deck of cards for his tricks.
He has a medium tan skin tone, green eyes, and a uncut-hairstyle commonly tied into a pony tail.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:25 am

New Character: No. CD-DCLXXV/ Working title; "Auto"

Auto is a standard general purpose automaton who was repaired by Rust and Silver. After being repaired, Rust took ownership of him and auto became his friend/servant.
Like most standard automatons, Auto has a very limited sense of his own identity; being ruled primarily by programming. As such, he understands little of human emotions and will often make naive remarks when confronted with such situations; however like most automatons this is not intentional but merely a lack of understanding. As the series progress's Auto will slowly gain a better understanding of both himself and his companions despite his low tier core. Eventually he will be able to make his own spontaneous choices, though often at the expense of Rust's ego. (Leave it to Auto to point an embarrassing mistake or set up an equally embarrassing prank)

As a comparison, The CD type series is most simiular to the NS-4 Robots from the film "i-Robot"

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept) - Page 3 Char_25548
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by robbi86 Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:20 am

Sorry for how late i am in this (I KNOW WHAT I PROMISED LEAVE ME ALONE!)

First of, this sounds very interesting and this is very well thought of. Second, i love the steampunk setting and the story of the Steamlords is pretty engrossing.

Final question, what are you trying to make out of this? Are you planning on a book? comic? video game?
robbi86
robbi86

Bounty : 10

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:29 pm

robbi86 wrote:Sorry for how late i am in this (I KNOW WHAT I PROMISED LEAVE ME ALONE!)

First of, this sounds very interesting and this is very well thought of. Second, i love the steampunk setting and the story of the Steamlords is pretty engrossing.

Final question, what are you trying to make out of this? Are you planning on a book? comic? video game?
Don't worry about it, the important thing is you posted! (Which is more than most people can say)

I am glad you enjoy what has been developed so far. I have had a lot of fun working on both scientific and artistic points of the story.

As for your final question...That is a good question. Truth be told I don't even know what its final form will be. I have try'ed to write the story down with little success, I have attempted to illustrate a comic version with even less success, and while I would love to make a video game out of it I just don't have the resources or know-how to do that either. (Considering half the ideas were converted from an old video game concept I had, it would probably at least meet some of the basic standards) So in the end I have mostly just been developing the characters, world, and lore in the event I ever do get the opportunity/experience to press forward.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:54 am

Possible location in the apprentice timeline, Saguaro-town.

Based on a childhood inspiration, Saguaro-town is a village in Columbia's western region. The town is composed almost entirely of tree-house like structures that are built on and inside of super-sized saguaro (Which for the purpose of this story, grow 2-5 times larger than their real life counterparts) Many of these homes and constructs are similarly linked by support bridges that span from cactus to cactus.

The citizens of the Saguaro-town build their houses in the cacti for many reasons, ranging from preventing dangerous animals entering their homes, easy access to water, heat protection, to natural vantage points. Likewise, most of the landscape directly below these houses are populated by dense thorn bushes and similar plant-life. Though eccentric by the modern standards, it was useful to the original settlers and the tradition has stuck since.

Steamlords (Sci-fi novel concept) - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQK0DMKQQVMLRyv8RnG2r4Oa5GFG4Je4zFjVy4NNTZVkF1ePiXT
(A picture of a real and fully grown saguaro)

During Rust's apprenticeship, Silver would be likely to take a detour in order to show this place to him and in order to expand his knowledge of the world.
Fun fact: Saguaro-Town; or as I often called it, "Cactus City" was a concept I came up with shortly after encountering a saguaro for the first time as a child. What kind of child wouldn't think about making a tree house in such a marvelous plant? For several years I would often draw a cartoon rendition of what I thought it would look like, however I have since lost these sketches (Granted that may be a blessing in disguise as they were drawn by my hands at the age of six!)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:53 pm

Koenig, this sounds really sick dude. I like your approach of developing the world, lore, and technology before you decide a story and characters.

I kind of do the opposite: I think of the what I want the story to be about and think of what type of characters I want to make. Then I try to figure out what type of world I should make based around the characters and story.

But this sounds really cool. I like the Runecraft idea and the city in the sky, it all sounds sick as hell.

My question is: Who's the main character(s)? And what's the main premise of the story?
ColumbianLoom
ColumbianLoom

Bounty : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:52 pm

ColumbianLoom wrote:
My question is: Who's the main character(s)? And what's the main premise of the story?

So far I have been working on a small handful of characters, the prominent of whom is a journeyman working to become a Steamlord, and an apprentice to the same master.  The premise so far is these characters working to do their jobs (A form of self proclaimed modderation on by the Steamlords) as they try to keep advanced technology from falling into the wrong hands,  or study to create new advances; all the while a several antagonists slowly conspire against the Steamlords as a whole; eventually leading to a number of battles before the strongest antagonist takes over the assets of the others for a final battle.

However this mechanics of this story are constantly changing, and much of what I posted here is very much out of date; (For example Runecraft has been all but eliminated in favor of more scientific design, though I am not ruling out a mechanical variation)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Koenig wrote:
ColumbianLoom wrote:

So far I have been working on a small handful of characters, the prominent of whom is a journeyman working to become a Steamlord, and an apprentice to the same master.  The premise so far is these characters working to do their jobs (A form of self proclaimed modderation on by the Steamlords) as they try to keep advanced technology from falling into the wrong hands,  or study to create new advances; all the while a several antagonists slowly conspire against the Steamlords as a whole; eventually leading to a number of battles before the strongest antagonist takes over the assets of the others for a final battle.

However this mechanics of this story are constantly changing, and much of what I posted here is very much out of date; (For example Runecraft has been all but eliminated in favor of more scientific design, though I am not ruling out a mechanical variation)

This all sounds great. What do you plan to do with this all? Make it into a book/light novel? Or screenplay?

And don't get rid of runecraft!!!!! That sounded so awesome, being able to basically hack the laws of physics; don't give up on that idea.
ColumbianLoom
ColumbianLoom

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Perhaps all of the above? The fact is I have yet to decide on a specific writing style as I currently do not have the talent to under take any of them.

As for runecraft, I have not given up on it; however its position in the grand scheme of things is somewhat different. Steamlords have a device that grants them limited controller over some aspects of reality; namely heat and cold, and electromagnetism.

Runecraft however, is a separate afair that I am hoping to place in a seperate story within "Septimundi"; which is the grand "multi-verse" that Steamlords take place in.

The idea goes that Magic, Spirit, and Order are the three primary powers of the universe, and subsequently there are different realms in which each has greater power (Steamlords would be in the realm of order)
Likewise, there are four more realms where these powers overlap; three of which are a combination of two, and one which a combination of all three.

Septimundi has will have little impact on Steamlords, however it will stand as a way to share resources between projects without damaging the logic of the story itself.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by ColumbianLoom Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Koenig wrote:Perhaps all of the above?  The fact is I have yet to decide on a specific writing style as I currently do not have the talent to under take any of them.

As for runecraft,  I have not given up on it; however its position in the grand scheme of things is somewhat different.  Steamlords have a device that grants them limited controller over some aspects of reality; namely heat and cold, and electromagnetism.

Runecraft however, is a separate afair that I am hoping to place in a seperate story within "Septimundi"; which is the grand "multi-verse" that Steamlords take place in.

The idea goes that Magic, Spirit, and Order are the three primary powers of the universe, and subsequently there are different realms in which each has greater power (Steamlords would be in the realm of order)
Likewise, there are four more realms where these powers overlap; three of which are a combination of two, and one which a combination of all three.

Septimundi has will have little impact on Steamlords, however it will stand as a way to share resources between projects without damaging the logic of the story itself.

Awwww, I see.

Koenig this sounds really sick dude. I really can't wait to see what you'll do with this!
ColumbianLoom
ColumbianLoom

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 pm

I am glad you like the idea. I am always dabbling with new idea's, but I have yet to make much progress in developing the story. If you would like to help me bounce idea's from time to time just let me know.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:56 pm

New integral addition to SkyPort: The "Master Automated Computer" or M.A.C. Huh... Ill have to come up with another name it seems...Regardless; lets continue!

The Master Automated Computer was a massive automaton core and processing system created during the construction of SkyPort, and was subsequently built directly into the central computing system of the port itself. MAC was designed to automate all the sections of SkyPort, while providing control of those section to human or automaton control as needed; likewise, MAC was also designed to take involuntary action to protect SkyPort in the event of a sudden or unforeseen danger. MAC could asses and react to any threat in a split second with complete control of SkyPorts systems. For all intents and purposes, the "Brain" of SkyPort.

During the early stages of the Civil War, MAC protected SkyPort and the Steamlord's fervently; providing a clear advantage over the other forces of the time. However towards the middle of the war SkyPort was breached and MAC was corrupted by a powerful virus, or to be more technical, a "worm"; MAC was subsequently turned against the Steamlords, and reacted havoc on SkyPort from within. It was during this time that the Alchemist had the greatest success in his campaign.
(The Virus used on MAC was an ancestor in design to that which is used by the Toymaker)

The Steamlords did eventually reclaim Sky Port, but they were unable to purge the Virus from MAC's systems; nor were they able to replace him since he was wired directly into the port. Their solution was to place MAC into a low level stasis; essentially sealing MAC and the virus into a state of hibernation while returning much of the city to an automated state. Any remaining computer space that was neither corrupted nor automated was reallocated for two new AI systems that are still used by the Steamlords today (Atlas and Index)

Potential uses for the Story: If MAC is reactivated with the virus intact, he could likely retake control of Sky Port for his corrupted purposes; potentially even becoming a major villain (Or rather the virus itself) On the flipside, if the Steamlords can find a way to purge the virus, they could restore MAC and reactivate much of Sky Ports disabled functions.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3