Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title

+6
zulux21
Justin
Cybersix
smirkytrick
TensePsychopath
Lunacy
10 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title - Page 17 Empty Re: Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title

Post by -Mazer Sun May 21, 2017 4:43 pm

Koenig wrote:oooh, what are you doing in AZ?

Mad monster in scottsdale ^_^
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Bounty : 41

https://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title - Page 17 Empty Re: Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title

Post by zulux21 Sun May 21, 2017 11:27 pm

gotta love modders
Gen Chat XVII: Tired of the old title - Page 17 Db4
zulux21
zulux21

Bounty : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Mon May 22, 2017 1:33 pm

So apparently Destiny 2 will not be on the Switch due to the Switch being Portable?
Justin
Justin

Bounty : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Mon May 22, 2017 2:15 pm

xXJus10Xx wrote:So apparently Destiny 2 will not be on the Switch due to the Switch being Portable?

it really shouldn't be surprising pretty much any AAA game is going to be passing on the switch due to it not having enough power to easily port the xbox one/ps4 version to it.

In other thoughts, while Agents of shield has typically been a decent watch, this season is just great. They decided to break it into 3 separate arcs that most other shows (or even earlier seasons) would have had them be their own season, and the end result is a season that is constantly moving and having an exciting story going on. I have a few more episodes to watch, but by far season 4 of AoS is the best of the series, and just might top season 1 of Flash as my favorite super hero season.
zulux21
zulux21

Back to top Go down

Post by Justin Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 pm

zulux21 wrote:
xXJus10Xx wrote:So apparently Destiny 2 will not be on the Switch due to the Switch being Portable?

it really shouldn't be surprising pretty much any AAA game is going to be passing on the switch due to it not having enough power to easily port the xbox one/ps4 version to it.
It's not the power being the issue. Bungie finds it strange for an online only game being on a Portable system. They didn't specifically state that it was a power issue.
But I wouldn't rule out Power being an issue XD
Justin
Justin

Bounty : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Mon May 22, 2017 4:30 pm

xXJus10Xx wrote:
zulux21 wrote:

It's not the power being the issue. Bungie finds it strange for an online only game being on a Portable system. They didn't specifically state that it was a power issue.
But I wouldn't rule out Power being an issue XD

it's likely a bit of both, but yeah I could see the system being a portable as a good reason to not put an online only game on there.

Even if the switch can be docked it's hard to gauge how much of the market even cares that you can use it like that vs what part of the market will use it on the go only.

beyond that though, given how long major AAA titles have been off nintendo platforms it's not a stretch to assume most people who are buying a switch either don't care about AAA titles or already own a different platform to play such things.
zulux21
zulux21

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Mon May 22, 2017 4:49 pm

hmmm cheat codes for breath of the wild.

tornado mode looks fun
zulux21
zulux21

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Bungie's reasoning is 100% trash, just like Destiny Razz

But seriously, the actual reason is very likely that the Switch hardware simply isn't up to par. It's much closer to the Wii U than the Xbone.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Bounty : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 10:45 am

Still, I highly doubt the Switch isn't actually powerful enough to run Destiny 2; the game simply is not the poly pusher that a good bit of rendering and scalling back could not compensate for.

No, I suspect the real reason is that western third parties simply don't trust Nintendo systems anymore. Generally speaking the only people who have bought Nintendo systems in the past decade are the diehard Nintendo fanbase or the "Casual" market, neither of which buy western titles in the numbers they like; couple that with the decades prior of Nintendo defining themselves as "family friendly", and we end up in a situation where no one ever expect a Nintendo system to actually have western AAA third party support.

Because very few of the "Core" market (I dislike that word, but it is the best one I can use in this sentence) think the games they like will be on a Nintendo system, none of them buy it, and because of that, very few people actually end up buying the few AAA 3rd party games that come to the system; thus convincing developers and publishers that Nintendo systems are not worth developing for and perpetuating the cycle. It is a self fulfilling prophecy of sorts, and one that is stuck in and endless loop. Circle never break themselves however, So unless someone makes an actual and continued effort to break it, the cycle will simply continue.

And I won't get the games I wan't to play on the system I wan't to play them on... Sad
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Tue May 23, 2017 12:22 pm

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy for sure, but having three underpowered machines in a row that would demand devs to seriously water down and tone down everything to last gen levels (not just raw graphics but potentially geometry and character models as well) isn't helping. Even indie games need to be watered down a bit. Look at Snake Pass where they had to remove some effects and the game itself runs at sub-HD in both portable and docked modes.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 1:46 pm

LegendX48 wrote:It's a self-fulfilling prophecy for sure, but having three underpowered machines in a row that would demand devs to seriously water down and tone down everything to last gen levels (not just raw graphics but potentially geometry and character models as well) isn't helping. Even indie games need to be watered down a bit. Look at Snake Pass where they had to remove some effects and the game itself runs at sub-HD in both portable and docked modes.
True, then again games like snake pass were ported in a single week, with little to no time put into optimization. The Switch is a handheld that can run console games (albeit in a diluted form) and that fact alone still blows me out of the water. Imagine if the DS could have played diluted versions of 360 games?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

*pokes Blaster Master with a stick* I have no idea how far I am in this game XD
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey Mazer, up for some Minecraft soon?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Tue May 23, 2017 2:18 pm

Koenig wrote:Still, I highly doubt the Switch isn't actually powerful enough to run Destiny 2; the game simply is not the poly pusher that a good bit of rendering and scalling back could not compensate for.

requiring rendering and scaling back by default means it isn't powerful enough to run it.
there isn't a ps3 or 360 version this time around, so there just isn't an easy port for the switch. aka it's not powerful enough to run a current version. They would need to do more than a quick port to get it to work on the switch. as you said they would need to scale back stuff, which would require a lot more testing, and for each patch/new content require a separate version of it just for a single market.

beyond that you also have huge unknowns with nintendo's online future and how many people will be willing to pay for online pay which is supposed to be required around the same time destiny 2 will launch. I mean with sony they know for a fact that there are 26.4 million people who are willing to pay for online play (numbers from a press conference earlier today) which even if the switch continues to sell well won't be numbers the entire userbase of the switch will reach by holiday 2018.

if the switch continues to sell well and not die down (like I still expect it to) then maybe next year or the year after some AAA companies might start including it. But they are big expensive games, that don't like taking risks on anything but sure things. And sales to make the extra time and energy worth it for a switch version are far from a sure thing.
zulux21
zulux21

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 pm

Koenig wrote:Hey Mazer, up for some Minecraft soon?

Editing my DOOM footage before lunch with the wifey.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zulux21 Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm

-Mazer wrote:
Koenig wrote:Hey Mazer, up for some Minecraft soon?

Editing my DOOM footage before lunch with the wifey.

I should do something creative..... maybe I will play around with my face detection software and review like persona 5 or something Razz
zulux21
zulux21

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 2:28 pm

zulux21 wrote:
Koenig wrote:Still, I highly doubt the Switch isn't actually powerful enough to run Destiny 2; the game simply is not the poly pusher that a good bit of rendering and scalling back could not compensate for.

requiring rendering and scaling back by default means it isn't powerful enough to run it.
there isn't a ps3 or 360 version this time around, so there just isn't an easy port for the switch. aka it's not powerful enough to run a current version. They would need to do more than a quick port to get it to work on the switch. as you said they would need to scale back stuff, which would require a lot more testing, and for each patch/new content require a separate version of it just for a single market.

beyond that you also have huge unknowns with nintendo's online future and how many people will be willing to pay for online pay which is supposed to be required around the same time destiny 2 will launch. I mean with sony they know for a fact that there are 26.4 million people who are willing to pay for online play (numbers from a press conference earlier today) which even if the switch continues to sell well won't be numbers the entire userbase of the switch will reach by holiday 2018.

if the switch continues to sell well and not die down (like I still expect it to) then maybe next year or the year after some AAA companies might start including it. But they are big expensive games, that don't like taking risks on anything but sure things. And sales to make the extra time and energy worth it for a switch version are far from a sure thing.
By that logic, most PS4 and X1 games don't "run" on them considering the are scaled back from most PC's. Likewise If its on the PC, most games are scalable for that very reason. I have no doubts in my mind that the Switch can play the vast majority of PS4/X1 games, and play them well if any developer actually puts in the effort to optimize them.

With that said I do agree that the switch will get more support down the line, but at that point the damage will have been done, and the switch will be cemented as a system in which AAA do not come to, and thus many more will still be skipping the system entirely.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 2:43 pm

*Is trying to get roomates to get RPG maker so I can work with them*

*Jumps back into tinkering with RPG maker*

Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by LegendX48 Tue May 23, 2017 3:08 pm

It's not optimizations, it's math. Switch is only capable of X while PS4 and Xbone are capable of XXY to the 5th power. Not to mention, even with pc versions, PS4/Xbone are, generally, always the lead platforms so things aren't scaled down. Devs that care will scale things up for the pc version but that's about it, to my knowledge.

It absolutely can't run a majority of current gen games, it simply isn't possible w/o literally making a completely separate PS3/360 level version. I've said this before and I'll say it again, the Switch is a great portable but a pathetic home console. It is much closer to the Wii U than it is the Xbone in terms of raw processing power. Plus, the Xbone and PS4 are much better by default at raw compute because of their AMD gpus.
LegendX48
LegendX48

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Out of curiosity, do you know how much resolution affects processing power? I want to use that as an example, but I wanted to make sure we are all on the same page first.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue May 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Guys, serious question: how are we going to get net neutrality back?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue May 23, 2017 9:20 pm

smirkytrick wrote:Guys, serious question: how are we going to get net neutrality back?
It's not gone yet. The best thing we can do however is call and speak to our respective local government officials and let them know our concerns. That generally does far more than any singular petition or rally.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Tue May 23, 2017 11:45 pm

*may or may not have that bad-ass ultra awesome vinyl for coffee cups to experiment on Luna's empire mug...
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Tue May 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Koenig wrote:
smirkytrick wrote:Guys, serious question: how are we going to get net neutrality back?
It's not gone yet.  The best thing we can do however is call and speak to our respective local government officials and let them know our concerns.  That generally does far more than any singular petition or rally.

personally, I have always believed the backlash esp with Anoy...would be so tremendous...it would never last
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 am

-Mazer wrote:
Koenig wrote:
It's not gone yet.  The best thing we can do however is call and speak to our respective local government officials and let them know our concerns.  That generally does far more than any singular petition or rally.

personally, I have always believed the backlash esp with Anoy...would be so tremendous...it would never last
those are some good points
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next