Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between.

4 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. Empty RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between.

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 am

-Mazer wrote:
Koenig wrote:Say, Mazer; Should we make a dedicated thread for RPG maker so that we don't clutter up the general chat?

Go for it.

And here we are!

Feel free to post any questions, answers, advice, or progress related to RPG maker here.
(This is mostly directed at myself)
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. Empty Re: RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between.

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:47 am

Without additional coding, Is it possible to set up a "notebook" function in the menu? Preferably one that can also be used to link different kinds quests, journal entries, and a list of known enemies into a catalog for future reference?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. Empty Re: RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between.

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:31 am

Once more, with out additional coding: Is it possible to set up a secondary equipment section based on points rather than slots? Likewise, can this section be dedicated to determining what skills are available?

For example: Character X can use the skill "Smokebomb" while character Y cannot; Only character X has "Smokebomb equipped in the skill slot, and likewise it requires 5 of his 20 Skill points-leaving him with 15 to equip other skills.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Koenig wrote:Without additional coding, Is it possible to set up a "notebook" function in the menu? Preferably one that can also be used to link different kinds quests, journal entries, and a list of known enemies into a catalog for future reference?

No. Luckily, there are already a lot of people who have made codes for those exact things. All you do is copy & paste and they will be working right away.

Bestiereries (or however the hell they are spelled) are all over the coding forums. Look for Yanfly's. He should have one.

Side-Quest entry coding also exist though those are not as plug-in-play as you'll need to tell the code what quests are active and finished. It isn't that hard.

Journal Entries? As in what kind?

Koenig wrote:Once more, with out additional coding: Is it possible to set up a secondary equipment section based on points rather than slots? Likewise, can this section be dedicated to determining what skills are available?

For example: Character X can use the skill "Smokebomb" while character Y cannot; Only character X has "Smokebomb equipped in the skill slot, and likewise it requires 5 of his 20 Skill points-leaving him with 15 to equip other skills.

That sounds a lot like the Materia skill from FF7. There are some codings floating around that lets you do something like this. I am not sure how detailed they get.

And no, this MUST be done through coding.

-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Bounty : 41

https://wssf.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:28 pm

I see, thank you.

In regards to journal entries, I mean additional lore or information that is made available either by your point in the game or by collecting parts of it as you go along.

How difficult is coding in general? Likewise, how hard do you think it would be to set-up a code for such a skill system?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:39 pm

I don't know Ruby script so I cannot answer that but I imagine it will be difficult unless you know what exactly you are doing.

As for journals, well there is a script out there that lets you create Skyrim-style books/scrolls that you can use for Lore. The Scroll script is what I used for my game. The Book script is something I have yet to figure out how to make work.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:14 pm

-Mazer wrote:I don't know Ruby script so I cannot answer that but I imagine it will be difficult unless you know what exactly you are doing.

As for journals, well there is a script out there that lets you create Skyrim-style books/scrolls that you can use for Lore. The Scroll script is what I used for my game. The Book script is something I have yet to figure out how to make work.
What is the difference between them?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Scrolls are a single image. Books are several images that you can "flip" through. It's literally like a single scroll in Oblivion versus a book you can flip through.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 pm

How do you input a script into the game? Copy and Paste into a section of database? Are most scripts self explanatory or do they require further resaerch?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 pm

Goto Script Editor. Go allll the way down until you see MAIN

This is where all custom scripts go - above MAIN

Just copy and paste. Most scripts have a README. Read those carefully.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 pm

I need to start scaling back the size of the places I am building >_>
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Why?
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

I get hung up on decorations and such, when i really just need to be following the tutorial and getting a feel for the software. (I already spent two hours decorating)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:20 pm

What I did was build the basic city, get everything done for that city (events, dialogues, interiors, stores, sidequests, etc), then I did decorations.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:26 pm

That is what I should be doing.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:29 pm

yup.

Also, you should remember: Side Quests are to be done later. Focus strictly on the main storyline. Once the final boss is done, start adding in side-quests.

Or do it this alt. way:

Finish 1 map from start to finish. Once all the stores, events, dialogues, etc are done, then do the side quests.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:34 pm

Good point. The way I have been developing so far has been to leave room for various things down the line (Cracks in the wall, locked room, balcany, etc)

I am going to take a break for a bit, but would you like me to upload a my progress so far?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:45 pm

go for it.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. 001_zpsbc89953e

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. 002_zps7456c2c9

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. 003_zps329e7bde

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. 004_zps47607701
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:06 pm

Is there a way to copy a segment of the map and then save it to the tile sets? (I am guessing not, but it seems like it would be useful for recurring structures)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by -Mazer Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

No. But you can copy something on the map and paste it. I think >.<

Also; looking very good so far.
-Mazer
-Mazer
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:00 pm

I see, thanks. (Also you can copy from the map and re-paste it)

And thanks again. Ill take your advice and focus on event and map design before decoration.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Probably biting this off a bit sooner than I should, but how do I make interior doors that work? As in opening/closing when you pass through them as well as having the option to lock them (Forcing the player to either have a key)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:06 pm

In regards to side quest's: I already know who I want the final boss of one such quest line to be; even if I do have to make my own sprites for him...

RPG Maker: Questions, Answers, and everything in-between. TNU
That said, I am a long ways of from implementing such content, lol.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:46 am

How do I get tiles like the waterfall to animate? I am using the tutorial, but I am having trouble following it at that part.

*Looks closer*

Is that even animating in the tutorial, or is that simply another texture being used to create a better merge with the water?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next