Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

4 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 6 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:47 am

I was doing a little research and I came across a game by the name of Star Flight. Would you mind looking into to the game as well and sharing your thoughts about it? It seems like it would be a good reference.
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 6 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:53 am

Likewise, another game that is may be worth looking into is called Uncharted Waters. An exploration game through and through.

PS: Both of these games were for the SNES.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:19 pm

Koenig wrote:I was doing a little research and I came across a game by the name of Star Flight. Would you mind looking into to the game as well and sharing your thoughts about it? It seems like it would be a good reference.
Likewise, another game that is may be worth looking into is called Uncharted Waters. An exploration game through and through.

PS: Both of these games were for the SNES.
* checks videos
Hmmm... I guess you're showing me the aspects of commications and alliance with starflight.

Uncharted Waters is pretty much a 2D version of my idea. Except it's more RPG like. I'm shock that my idea existed nearly 20 years ago... wow. This would make a great reference. How did you find it?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:36 pm

It was recommended by Extra Credit. They are a group of friends in the video game industry who put out useful video's on Youtube. I have been studying them for future reference.

https://i.imgur.com/zk9TJVa.jpg
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:10 am

Okay, I've been thinking about the on foot gameplay. It'll be like adventure platformer, with a mix of the gameplay from the Secret of Mana. With a small dash of a tower defense game. It's hard to explain, I can't think of any examples from the top of head right now. But 'ill think of something.

Also I've been toying with the idea of races (ethnicity) what do you think?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Depends; do you mean different species, or changes within a species?

IE (Orks and elves VS Black and White)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm

Koenig wrote:Depends; do you mean different species, or changes within a species?

IE (Orks and elves VS Black and White)
Well I'm not sure if you can call them different species. But I've been thinking about adding a culture that was based on the Amazonian culture, a culture based on bird people, and one on mermaids/men... Not entirely sure about the mermaids though. But obviously one based on human culture.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:43 pm

I am still having trouble understanding what you are saying. So we will have multiple humanoid species? (Humans, Bird-people, Mermaids, etc)

Or do you mean cultures based around the concepts of them?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:01 pm

Koenig wrote:I am still having trouble understanding what you are saying. So we will have multiple humanoid species? (Humans, Bird-people, Mermaids, etc)

Or do you mean cultures based around the concepts of them?
Culture's most likely. Now that I think about it. It'll be a simpler process of development if we did that. Although, now that I think about it, we could have several humanoid species. Like Amazonians and bird people.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I suppose that would make sense in context of the exploration feel. From a design standpoint of Septimundi, that would mean that such specie's would be indigenous to the magic plane and not the parallel in which your would exists.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm

Right. But now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I want to use bird people. You get what I'm saying, I'm just not sure if we need people with wings and fins.
Sorry i'm just indecisive about this.
I know I want to put in a culture based on the amazonians though.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 pm

What else do you want to go over? I understand the overworld mechanics well, but I am still having trouble visualizing the on-foot gameplay.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:19 pm

Koenig wrote:What else do you want to go over?  I understand the overworld mechanics well, but I am still having trouble visualizing the on-foot gameplay.
Hmmmm.... Well, The best way I can describe it would be a mixture of a third person, Secret of Mana, and with a dash of what I would like to call a mobile tower defense.

I know it sounds complicated, so I'm gonna do my best draw it up to show you what I mean.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

I am also having trouble visualizing the camera angle. 3rd person could take any number of designs.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm

Ok, here's a rough draft of what I have so far.
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 6 OnFootSegmentcopy_zpsf59371fa

Of course, the number of party members and how close/far the camera should be is open for discussion, also there should be an option to go alone as well.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 pm

On second thought, the camera should definitely be closer. or at least adjustable.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:24 pm

I still don't understand. How exactly will party members follow you in a 3D environment? They won't be able to retain such a rigid formation.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:58 pm

Koenig wrote:I still don't understand. How exactly will party members follow you in a 3D environment? They won't be able to retain such a rigid formation.
You see that area labeled 'front'? That will be in front of the character. Whenever the player turn around it will turn around with it. The party members will stay where they are, they may scoot a bit to make a gap for the front view. We may have to lower the number of party members if necessary.

Party members will follow the player much like the traditional 2D rpgs. Some will follow Sam from behind, others will walk side by side. The player will have the option to place members either on the side or behind.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 am

I suppose that would work, though I suggest that under normal instances we reduce the number of active party members down to 2-3. Otherwise it would just seem a little...odd. Imagine being stuck in a room and looking around for something and having seven people following your every move. Unless they are specifically programmed to keep their distance and rejoin you once you get on your marry way, it will become very awkward at times.

That said, we could offset this a bit by programming the AI to do useful things (Automatically pick up ammo, find secretes, idle chat, exploartion, etc) Stuff that would reduce the players workload and make sense to having a party in the first place.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:22 am

Koenig wrote:I suppose that would work, though I suggest that under normal instances we reduce the number of active party members down to 2-3. Otherwise it would just seem a little...odd. Imagine being stuck in a room and looking around for something and having seven people following your every move.  Unless they are specifically programmed to keep their distance and rejoin you once you get on your marry way, it will become very awkward at times.

That said, we could offset this a bit by programming the AI to do useful things (Automatically pick up ammo, find secretes, idle chat, exploartion, etc) Stuff that would reduce the players workload and make sense to having a party in the first place.
I see what you mean. I can work with 2-3 parties.... or maybe 4.... we somewhere around those three numbers. I also had this idea that if there were narrow areas they would form a single file line. We could do this for whenever they're walking around the ship or in a building. And they could make that formation whenever they're outside exploring. Also the AI doing useful things sounds like a good idea, just as long as they stay in that area around the player, I don't have a problem with it. With AI the way they are today, I wouldn't want them to wonder off and get stuck or lost somewhere.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 am

If necessary, we could always give the AI the tail's treatment (IE; teliporting to a nearby location if left behind) Likewise, we could also let the player give commands to his partners. For example he could tell them to explore the area, and subsequently rejoin you when you left that spot.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:02 am

Koenig wrote:If necessary, we could always give the AI the tail's treatment (IE; teliporting to a nearby location if left behind) Likewise, we could also let the player give commands to his partners. For example he could tell them to explore the area, and subsequently rejoin you when you left that spot.
Well, I wanted the exploration to be done by the player. If we made it to where the AI does the exploring for the player then that'll take the fun right out of the game. However, we could have the AI 'MAP' out of the area instead, but we'll need to somehow put a restriction on this.
Also, instead of just simply teleporting, how about we put in a flare gun? and whenever it is used the scouting AI will come running back to the player, giving it a reason for the sudden appearance.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:25 pm

I am not sure about the flare gun; I like the idea, but I don't understand how it should work. Typically flare guns have limited ammunition and are only used when lost are calling in another group.
It would be hard to justify as a common use item; even more so when your character or group is hunting or trying to inconspicuous.
Nothing says sneaky like a flare~
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Koenig wrote:I am not sure about the flare gun; I like the idea, but I don't understand how it should work.  Typically flare guns have limited ammunition and are only used when lost are calling in another group.
It would be hard to justify as a common use item; even more so when your character or group is hunting or trying to inconspicuous.
Nothing says sneaky like a flare~
Ok... How about a beacon of some sort then. Or maybe a steam punk communication device?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:44 pm

That sounds like a good idea, a communication device makes sense. Given the half magic/half science setting we could probably work in some creative details.

Perhaps a radio that uses a magic crystal to power and transmit, and later on the crystal could be upgraded for longer range and more control over your crew and ship?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next