Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

4 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:57 am

Awesome!!!!
I found some good references here:
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 1199386-15307_motimage

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 R_2880

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 Walkie-talkie
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Bounty : 7

Back to top Go down

Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 Empty Re: Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET)

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:48 am

A good basis, but be sure to integrate some magic-like elements.
The more we embrace the mix of science and magic the stronger it will affect the aesthetic of our game.

*Sigh*
I wish I could draw out a decent sketch of my ideas (Both for this and Steamlords)

PS: Would you be up for bouncing some of my Steamlords idea's sometime?
Koenig
Koenig

Bounty : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:26 am

Koenig wrote:A good basis, but be sure to integrate some magic-like elements.
The more we embrace the mix of science and magic the stronger it will affect the aesthetic of our game.

*Sigh*
I wish I could draw out a decent sketch of my ideas (Both for this and Steamlords)

PS: Would you be up for bouncing some of my Steamlords idea's sometime?
Sure, I'll check back tomorrow. Do you wanna do that here or in the chatroom?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:29 am

If we are both online, the chat room would work best. That said, I will answer any questions or conversations posted here as well since we may not be on at the same time.

So in advance: What about Steamlords would you like to know more about and/or critique?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I think the basic stuff really. Like are they ancient technology or something? are they peaceful? Are they smart or ignorant? overall design, personalities, environment, stuff like that.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:21 pm

cuting the lore a bit short; The Steamlords were the result of collaborative think tank a science guild that pioneered virtually all forms of technology; sending them years ahead of other scientists of their time. However their group eventually had a falling out and they eventally split up (Political influence and a civil war later) Much of the technology was lost in the conflict, but the remaining group left their homeland and built their own ressidence in the form of Skyport. They are technilogically minded and a cut above any one else in the modern field, but they still lack much of the knowloege that was lost when they split. (The remaining factions either completely dispersed, were killed in the conflict, or are some of the villains of the series.

Now days they act similar to a city state but with priority on business and science. They will gladly lend their technology and services to those who they trust, but will subsequently veto anyone or group who mis uses it. Likewise there are some technologies that they endevor to hide or hinder in fear of what it might become in the wrong hands (IE Alchemy/Atomic manipulation) Due to the advanced nature of their machines and science, they have secured several busisness routes in Columbia, Albion, and they still retain some from their from homeland Valdeia (Columbia is the geographic equivalent of America, Albion the UK and nerby islands, and Valdeia is a fictional island in between the two)

While the Steamlords opperate like a business, there ranks are composed primarily of mad scientists and blue collar scholars. Only those who reach the Master rank of their guild are given the title "Steamlord" but their organization shares the same name. Apprentices and employees work with them in most aspects.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:38 pm

The Steamlords also have developed an array of tools that are at their disposal. One of which is stand among virtually all members of their organization: The Dial-Watch.

The Dial-Watch is essentially a cross between a pocket watch and a cellphone, though it also has several other functions available to it. Acting as both a time piece and communications device, the D-Watch can also be used a scanner and wireless interface system for the nearby environment; Though many of these functions are affected by signal range.
(These would act as radios, scanning devices, and log books in my game)

Another yet important tool is the "Steam-Hat" which is bestowed only upon full fledged Steamlords. The love child of my obsession with tops hats and science fiction; the Steam Hat is a device that allows the user limited control over the laws of physics (Electricity, Magnetism, Combustion, Cryogenics) The Steam Hat is a cross between a top hat (or any other suitable sized hat) and a special machine that is powered by the heat and electromagnetic field of the users body. It also has a "locked" function that can drain energy directly from the user for far greater results; though harmful. (These abilities were partially inspired by the "Plasmids" from Bioshock- and would serv similar functions in my game)

A third and somewhat neglected tool is the Steamlords parasol; An umbrella with a spiral canvas, electric rod, light bulb, and many other customization aspects. This cane can be used for a variety of things depending on how it was built. From being used as a short range parachute, ray gun, light source, buzz baton, and the like. (From a gameplay mechanic, this tool would be used for platforming and combat)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:21 pm

Ok, so are you wanting steamlords to be in the game? or are you wanting a culture based on steamlords to be in the game?

Also that parasol tool kinda sounds like a pretty fun and useful idea for a crafting weapon.

Also I finished the first concept for the device.
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 CommunicationDevicecopy_zpsa52e437b
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:35 pm

I think it would be best to contain Steamlords in the sister universe (IE, unrelated at this point in time)

I like your design. Do you think we could leave part of sides open as to show the crystal inside?
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:45 pm

Sure, you mean something more like this:
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 CommunicationDevicecopy_zpse41603e0
Or did you want to actually see the crystal?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:34 pm

Looking better, though I would like to see part of the crystal, but not necessarily all of it.
Perhaps a frame around it?

Also: Idea! I was thinking of ways to connect the worlds of Septimundi, and I was wondering if you would not mind including a sealed gate to Atlantis in your world.

My idea is that Atlantis spanned three worlds (Magic, Couriso, Science) each part of the city was connected to the part in another world via a stable portal worked into two of the very gateways of the city. At one point or another the part of Atlantis within the Science world suffered a cataclysm when they under-took a massive Alchemy project (An atomic reaction that obliterated that part of the city) And subsequently shut down the portal(s) to the other worlds. This would mean that the Atlantis in your world (Either sunken or thriving) would have a massive gateway sealed off by large-impenetrable doors that were put in place after the Atlantis in my world was destroyed.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:49 pm

Ok, how about this:
Smirky's and Keonig's Game design thread (TOP SECRET) - Page 7 CommunicationDevicecopy_zpsf9ab1177

Hmmmm...I can see how it could be beneficial. I just don't want it to over shadow all the other stories though... Maybe perhaps I can make it to where the gates are statue idols that the Atlantians worship. Like, it used to be a floating man made island, and then the atomic reaction happened and that caused it to sink to the bottom of the sea and altering it's inhabitants. As centuries went by people eventually forgot their origins. All except the Oracle (aka the guy that was in charge of the project) who knows about the incident first hand, and has strong theories that outside dimensions or worlds may have caused interference with the project (also he became immortal and immobile because somehow he got fuse with this barnacle stuff). To make sure it won't happen again the Idol statues (or the portals) were made to prevent any more catastrophes (this was when he was still mobile which was centuries ago). As a result, the citizens, began worshiping these statues believing that they are responsible for their creations.

(also, I don't think I will call the Atlantis in my world Atlantis, just for originality sake).
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:57 pm

I like it. It is a good foundation to work on.

In regards to Atlantis; All I really need is a giant closed gateway with seemingly inactive magical mechanisms composing it.  For the sake of continuity, could we have it so that the city was called Atlantis in your world, but its title was changed at the centuries went on? This information could be buried in the culture itself, so that it is only revealed to be "Atlantis" long after its new culture and name have been firmly established to the player.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 am

Hmmm... Okay, giant gate it is.

Can I call it Atlan Tees?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:39 am

It is your world, so feel free to name it whatever suits the culture you have in mind best; keep in mind Atlan may be a dead give away to some. That said, if you intend to use the city as a still inhabbited location, I recommend giving a deteriorated vibe since it has fallen from the glory of three world empire. I can't place my finger on the name, but a good example would be the city from the Ghibli movie Tales of Earthsea.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Are there any other things you would like to cover? (On either project)
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:01 am

Koenig wrote:Are there any other things you would like to cover? (On either project)
so far I pretty much have the basics.

but just tot make sure I don't don't my projects mixed up they are Land of Courosi, steamlords, and Mazer's dream weaver story. Right?

Also I think now is a good time to go over ideas for animals and creatures and stuff like that. I came up with this awesome concept of a herbivore mammal that's like a giraffe but has like this tree camo. complete with leaves and branches. what ya think?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:20 pm

I believe so.

As for animals; I may not be much help in creating them, but I could help right out there biology once you have them made. That said be sure to make many of them similar to a real animal. The stranger something is, the harder it will be for the player to accept it. It is a fine line we are going to have to walk between how normal we make the animals, and how abstract the combination become.

I will need to know more about the giraffe creature before I can help.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Koenig wrote:I believe so.

As for animals; I may not be much help in creating them, but I could help right out there biology once you have them made. That said be sure to make many of them similar to a real animal. The stranger something is, the harder it will be for the player to accept it.  It is a fine line we are going to have to walk between how normal we make the animals, and how abstract the combination become.

I will need to know more about the giraffe creature before I can help.
Well, the giraffe thing is much like a regular giraffe. except its brown and has camo. It can be made into a trophy, and I imagine that it can be eaten.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Sorry for the late reply~

it sounds interesting, but it would need to be on a more wide open yet equally forested island in order for it to make sense.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:03 pm

I agree. I'm gonna go ahead and draw the gate portal to septmundi thing first before I start with the giraffe thing. Is that ok?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:31 pm

No problem. Keep in mind that as far as the project is concerned, the gate need only exist. No further purpose can yet be applied to it.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Koenig wrote:No problem. Keep in mind that as far as the project is concerned, the gate need only exist. No further purpose can yet be applied to it.
Gotcha, just for show.
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Koenig Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:38 pm

*Thought* Could you include an eccentric crest resembling a gear on one gate, and a flame on the other? These are meant to represent the dominant power of the world that the gate connects to.
Koenig
Koenig

Back to top Go down

Post by smirkytrick Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Koenig wrote:*Thought* Could you include an eccentric crest resembling a gear on one gate, and a flame on the other? These are meant to represent the dominant power of the world that the gate connects to.
Ok, but just to clarify how many gates am I making? just the 2?
smirkytrick
smirkytrick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next